Summary 2021 — Puerto Rico
Innovative Programming Conducted and Educational Resources Developed
- Spanish translation of Pancakes!: ¡Panqueques! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wtsZhIHnoAk5CuJaAzKCrXPtNbJLRySX/view
- Spanish translation of Desktop Greenhouses: Invernaderos de escritorio https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m6JIJGNz0pqUbLQr4vSzewbhPRFGBl43/view
- Spanish translation of Eggology: Estudio de los huevos https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J53hhE5a5-BjHWl2Qh7msktbTNhNyvTQ/view
- Spanish translation of Eating Plants: Comiendo Plantas https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bLl0TI2ha3dBfQ8W_9d6Km5HLAKiHJ8t/view
Translated to Spanish from NAITCO website:
- Científico de alimentos por un día (Food Scientist for a Day) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BNEui9CqsC_Hvd90PvwdjpU7Lh5DyWnP/view
- Diseña tus genes (Design 'Y'er Genes) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tifljhOTYK65l-28LeVS5Cokh6EDGP3d/view
- Farm video: Aprendamos sobre agricultura: Agroecología (Let’s Learn about Agriculture: Agroecology)
- Farm video: Aprendamos sobre agricultura: Cultivando y procesando café (Let’s Learn about Agriculture: Growing and Processing Coffee)
- Farm video: Aprendamos sobre agricultura: Productos lácteos (Let’s Learn about Agriculture: Dairy Products)
A new PR Agriculture in the Classroom webpage was developed to organize all the Spanish language resources: https://sites.google.com/view/puertorico-ag-inthe-classroom/p%C3%A1gina-principal
Major Program Impacts or Outcomes
Pre and post tests from the workshops showed an increase in program awareness and interest in using the available resources (including the Curriculum Matrix and MyBinder) and utilizing lessons in their classrooms.
Program Leader Biosketch
Puerto Rico has two state contacts:
Edly Santiago-Andino is a Professor at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayaguez. She has a B.S. in Animal Science and a M.S. in Agricultural Education from the University of Puerto Rico- Mayaguez and a Ph.D. in Environmental Education and in Agricultural Education from Pennsylvania State University. She is the Agricultural Education Teacher Program Coordinator at UPR-Mayaguez. Edly and her students promote agricultural literacy across multiple schools in P.R., developing educational modules and engaging their faculty and students. She has been an Ag in the Classroom State Contact since September, 2019.
Olgaly Ramos-Rodriguez is a Professor at the University of Puerto Rico-Utuado. She has an M.S. in Biology from the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez and a Ph.D. in Entomology from Kansas State University. She currently coordinates the Sustainable Agriculture program. She conducts outreach programs focusing on connecting students in public schools with agriculture and has developed participatory research projects with small farmers in the rural central area of Puerto Rico. Olgaly has been an Ag in the Classroom State Contact since August, 2019.