Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Virtual Food Safety Labs
Food safety and science come together with these virtual labs. Students can see and practice some of the laboratory techniques used by researchers and food scientists. Visit the website to see eight virtual labs including Testing for Corn Mold, Bacteria Sampling, Gram Staining, Using the Microscope, The pH Scale and Meter Calibration, Testing and Adjusting pH, Understanding Water Activity, and Controlling Water Activity in Food.
New Mexico State University Learning Games Lab, South Dakota State University, and North Dakota State University
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Good Guys or Bad Guys?
- Chain of Food (Grades 6-8)
- Cooking Right: The Science of Cooking a Hamburger (Grades 6-8)
- Crossed Up!
- FoodMASTER Middle: Food Safety
- Hands Off, Bacteria!
- Supermarket Smarts
- Ultra High Pressure Treatment (Grades 6-8)
- Understanding Bacteria (Grades 6-8)
- Chain of Food (Grades 9-12)
- Ultra High Pressure Treatment (Grades 9-12)
- Outbreak Alert - Shigella
- Blue's the Clue: Souring Milk for Science (Grades 9-12)
- Mystery Juice (Grades 9-12)
- Understanding Bacteria (Grades 9-12)
- FoodMASTER: Food Safety
- Cruisin' for a Bruisin' Food Packaging Specialist
- Food Safety Sleuths- Food Safety Specialist
- Preservation Power of Honey
- A Chilling Investigation